Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Index » Sweets » Apricot Jam
- 3 kg organic apricots (ideally, slightly under-ripe but I had very ripe)
- 2 kg organic sugar
- 1-2 packets of Jamsetta pectin (50g)
- glass jars with non-plastic lids (about 2 L worth)
- Chop apricots in half to remove stones. Place in a large stock pot where the fruit is less than 1/2 of the volume of the pot.
- Cook gently with the sugar (and 1/2 cup water if under-ripe fruit) uncovered until the fruit is soft.
- Add jamsetta and bring fruit to the boil for 5-10 minutes, stirring vigorously.
- To test for a set, place a plate in the freezer. Once cold, remove and place a teaspoon of jam on the plate. After 30 seconds, if jam crinkles when touhced the jam is set. If not, continue cooking, add more sugar or add more jam setta.
- Meanwhile, sterilise the glass jars by washing in soapy water, then boiling in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Warm the lids but they do not have to be boiled.
- Pour warm jam into jars. Place lids on a allow to cool. Label jam and share with friends.