Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Completely Awesome Lumberjake Cake
Index » Cakes » Completely Awesome Lumberjake Cake
- 2 large apples, peeled and finely chopped OR 400g drained crushed pineapple
- 10 large dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 125g margarine (Nuttelex)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon water, extra
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ¼ cup soy milk
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut
- Combine apples, dates, bicarbonate of soda and water in a bowl and cover for 10 minutes.
- Beat margarine, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add flour and fruit-mixture alternatively until all combined.
- Spread mixture into a prepared (greased and floured) square tin.
- Bake in a moderate (180) oven for 50 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the coconut topping.
- Topping: Combine all ingredients and mix well until the sugar is all dissolved in the liquid (it may need heating).
- After 50 minutes, pour coconut topping over the cake. Bake for a further 30 minutes or until cooked and golden brown. Cool in the pan. Cut into slices and eat - yum!