Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Index » Mains » Gnocchi Italiano
- 500g potatoes (3 large)
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tomatoes (or 1 cup tinned tomato)
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped into cubes
- 1 zucchinni, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- dried italian herbs (e.g. oregano, basil, thyme)
- To make the gnocchi, peel and boil the potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 minutes for until soft.
- Drain the water off and mash the potatoes until smooth. Allow to cool a little.
- Using your hands, kneed the flour, salt and oil into the mashed potatoes until a soft dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into a sausage shape about 2 cm thick. Cut 2.5cm pieces and squash one side against a fork to create ridges in the gnocchi.
- Bring salted water to the boil in a saucepan and cook the gnocchi in batches for about 2 minutes or until they rise to the top. Lift out with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, to make to tomato sauce, heat some oil in a frypan and cook the onion for one minute.
- Add the vegetables (capsicum and zucchini OR carrot and celery OR whatever you like!) and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (tinned or fresh) and the herbs and heat through for another 5 minutes.
- To serve, gently toss the drained gnocchi through the tomato sauce until all are coated deliciously (serves 2-3).