Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Homemade Wholemeal Bread
Index » Sides » Homemade Wholemeal Bread
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup water or soy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup organic wholemeal flour
- 2 cups organic plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- oil, extra
- poppy seeds, sesame seeds or oats for topping
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve the sugar and yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the soy milk, vegetable oil, molasses, whole wheat flour, 1 cup of the all-purpose flour and the salt; beat well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Grease one loaf pan. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Place the loaf into the pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Brush the risen loafs with a little oil and sprinkle on your choice of bread topping. Bake at 200 degrees C for 30 minutes. Let cool on a rack before enjoying your homemade wholemeal breads.