Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Index » Mains » Lively Pesto
- pasta for two
- one small butternut pumpkin, cut into slabs
- 2 spinach leaves, washed
- 100g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/3 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 clove russian garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red chilli
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs (garlic chives, oregano, basil, parsley)
- Place the pumpkin on an oiled baking tray and bake for 1 hour in a 180 degree oven.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 9 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Put the broccoli and spinach in with the pasta and lightly steam for 1 minute before draining water off.
- Meanwhile, using an sharp knife or food processor, finely dice the nuts, garlic, chilli and herbs. Add lemon juice and olive oil and blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove pumpkin from oven and cut off skin. Cut into bite-sized chunks. Cut the spinach leaves into strips.
- To serve, layer the pumpkin on top of the pasta and broccoli and then add the spinach and pesto. Stir through and drizzle with a little extra olive oil. Hey presto, it's pesto! (serves 2)