Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Mince Fruit Pies
Index » Christmas » Mince Fruit Pies
- a scoop each of raisins, sultanas, currants, dried cranberries.
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup Nuttelex margarine
- about 1/4 cup iced water
- In a non metallic mixed bowl place the fruit, sugar, lemon juice, spice and orange juice. Give a gentle mixing.
- Allow to sit, covered in a cool place for 2 days, stirring occasionally.
- Blend in batches with a stick blender to make fruit mince. Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator until use. OR use recipe for Fig and walnut fruit mince.
- To make the pastry, rub the margarine into the flour, salt and sugar. Add the water slowly, a tablespoon at a time, and mix until a dough is formed.
- Knead lightly into a ball and refridgerate for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out pastry, half at a time on a floured surface, and cut round bottoms to fit the greased and floured cupcake tin for baking. The dough is easy to work with and elastic, but try not to roll out too many times.
- Fill the pies with about 2 teaspoons of fruit mince.
- Cut out tops in star, heart or flower or lattice shapes and gentle press onto the pies.
- Bake in a 180 degree oven for about 15 mins or until almost golden.
- To serve, sprinkle with icing sugar on top. Pastry makes 9-16 covered mincepies, depending on size (cupcake or muffin size).