Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Index » Sides » Potato Mini-Pies
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup wholemeal, rye or spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons Nutellex margarine
- 7+ tablespoons of cold water
- pinch of salt
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/3 cup soy, oat or rice milk
- pinch of salt and nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Nutellex margarine
- 1/2 can Sanitarium nutmeat
- 1 swiss brown mushroom, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- salt, pepper and basil
- sesame seeds
- To make the pastry, chop the margarine into the flour and salt. When of a cornmeal texture, add the cold water slowly until a soft but not sticky dough is formed. Place in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
- To make the potato topping, peel and chop the potatoes into 4. Place in boiling water and boil until tender. Drain the water. Add the milk and mash. Add seasoning of nutmeg and salt to taste.
- To make the nutmeat layer, melt the margarine and saute the diced onion, garlic and mushroom until the onion is translucent. Add the finely chopped nutmeat and tomato puree and cook through. Add salt, pepper and basil to taste.
- Roll out pastry and cut out circles. Place circles in greased cupcake pans. Add 2 teaspoons of nutmeat mixture, then top with a teaspoon of mashed potato. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. Bake in a 180 degree oven for 20 minutes. Serve with tomato sauce. Makes 24.