Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Red Lentil Curry and Injera
Index » Mains » Red Lentil Curry and Injera
- 1/2 cup red lentils, washed
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, coriander, fenugreek seeds, chilli flakes, turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon each black pepper, nutmeg
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- In a saucepan, place washed lentils and spices with enough water to cover the lentils. Simmer over low heat until lentils are soft and water is gone.
- In another pan, fry onion and garlic with the mustard seeds until soft.
- Add tomatoes to the onion and heat. Add the cooked lentils and simmer to reduce water content.
- For the injera, mix flours in a mixing bowl with enough water to make a pancake-like batter.
- Once batter is smooth, add bicarb and vinegar immediately before cooking.
- Heat a pan and pour in batter to cover pan. Cook on high heat until bubbles form and injera is light brown. Do not flip.
- Serve injera on a large plate and spoon curry on top. Eat with your fingers, using the injera to scoop up the curry. Serves 4 or 2 very hungry, greedy people.