Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Index » Sides » Sushi-Style
- 6 sheets nori (seaweed) for sushi
- 1 cup sushi rice (white, short grain)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- avocado, cut into thin strips
- carrot, cut into thin strips
- cucumber, cut into thin strips
- beetroot slices, cut into thin strips
- poppy seeds
- non-wheat soy sauce (tamari)
- In a rice cooker or bowl in the microwave, cook the rice in the water. When cooked, spoon out onto a flat surface and allow to cool.
- When cool, pour over the rice vinegar mixed with the sugar. Stir through.
- Cut a nori sheet in half. Using sushi rolling mats or a tea-towel, place a 1/2 sheet of nori down. Top thinly with rice leaving a 1cm margin on the top and bottom edges.
- Place a few pieces of avocado, carrot, cucumber, beetroot and poppy seeds (or any combination of) along the bottom edge on top of the rice.
- Quickly but gently roll the nori over the vegetables and continue to roll to the end of the nori sheet. Use a little bit of water to make the top edge stick down.
- Serve in long rolls with soy sauce (and wasabi), or slice the roll into little bite-sized circles. Moshi moshi is fun for noshi!