Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Index » Mains » Tasty Lasagne
- dried lasagne sheets
- sesame seeds
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon sunflower kernels
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup TVP
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock
- assorted chopped veg (e.g. 1 carrot, 1 zucchini, 1 green capsicum, 1/4 cauliflower, 1/4 aubergine)
- italian herbs, salt and pepper
- 60g nuttelex margarine
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- nutmeg and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- turmeric, salt and pepper
- Cut up the vegetables into bite sized pieces
- Add boiling water with stock to TVP and soak for 5 minutes
- Roast sunflower kernels in a large frypan (or wok). Add oil, onion and garlic and cook.
- Add vegetables and cook until slightly tender.
- Add tomato and TVP and seasoning. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine for bechamel sauce in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add milk slowly, stirring, until it thickens.
- Season with a sprinkle of nutmeg and black pepper.
- For the "cheese" topping, heat oil in a small saucepan. Mix in dry ingredients and stir until there are small lumps. Add a cup of water and stir, while heating, until smooth and thick.
- Precook the lasagne sheets if required (see packet for directions).
- In a large oven proof dish put a layer of lasagne sheets. Top with half the "meat sauce" and half the "bechamel sauce". Add another layer of lasagne sheets and the remaining "meat sauce" and "bechamel sauce". Top with the "cheese topping"- spread it all over the top and then sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
- Bake in an 180 degree oven for 25 minutes. Fantastic Eating! (Serves 4-6)
** Note: Also called Savory Yeast Flakes, Nutritional Yeast is NOT bakers yeast that you use for bread. It can be found in most health food stores. TVP (textured vegetable protein) can also be found in health food stores.