Benno & Lara's
"Nothing will benefit human health and
increase chances for survival of life on Earth
as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Index » Mains » Tofu Tonkatsu
- 4 pieces koyadofu (freeze dried tofu)
- boiling water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons vegan dashi (kombu or mushroom)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (panko)
- Place 4 pieces of koyadofu (freeze dried tofu) in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak for 10 minutes.
- Make the simmering sauce by mixing the soy sauce, vegan dashi, stock and garlic.
- Carefully place koyadofu pieces in a large fry pan. Simmer in the simmering sauce for around 10-15 minutes or until the simmering sauce has been all absorbed.
- Meanwhile, prepare the wet batter in a shallow bowl by mixing the flour and 1/2 cup water together until a smooth paste is formed. Place breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Remove the koyadofu pieces. Coat in the wet batter, then coat in breakcrumbs (panko).
- Fry the coated tofu in vegetable oil in the saucepan pan until golden and crispy on the outside.
- Slice into pieces. Serve with rice and broccoli and tonkatsu sauce (similar to a BBQ sauce).